Living Plant Collections – Creation and Management
Living plant collections are a vital part of all botanic and zoological gardens, whether they provide attractive displays, habitat, education resources or contribute to a conservation program.
My extensive experience with plant collections has included horticultural maintenance; horticultural research; the establishment and management of botanic gardens, and; plant conservation.
As a botanic garden consultant, I am able to offer the experience and knowledge I have gained from a number of organisations, a range of activities and the many contacts I have made throughout the world.
The services I offer are:
- The planning for and establishment of new botanic gardens and arboreta or the living plant collections in new zoos.
- Nature of the plant displays whether indigenous, exotic or both
- Purpose of the plant displays
- Selection of plants for the displays
- Sourcing of the plants
(see my case studies for Alice Springs Desert Park and Oman Botanic Gardens)
- Managing living plant collections in existing botanic gardens, arboreta and zoos.
- Creation of living collections in new or established gardens
- Review of existing collections in terms of their:
- success as a horticultural display
- relevance to education
- relevance to conservation
- other options if they fail to achieve their purpose
- Preparation of a living collection strategy
- Management of the collection, including:
- Plant selection – the process
- Accessioning of plant material
- Records and record keeping
- Removal and de-accessioning
3. Interpretation plans for plant displays.
- Review of current interpretation including the labelling of plants
- Recommendations for new interpretation
- Preparation of interpretive text
- Exploration of suitable app. based interpretation
- Ex situ plant conservation.
- Review of plant conservation collection
- Preparation of a conservation plan including recommendations for other collections and possible connections with in situ conservation.
5. Facilitation of living collection meetings and staff training programs
- Organisation and holding of conferences, workshops and staff training
- Review and updating of existing living collection policies, plans and operations.